Effective Date: October 26, 2021.
ENTRANCE is solely and independently responsible for its own privacy practices. No Member is responsible for ENTRANCE’s privacy practices.
Each Member is solely and independently responsible for its own privacy practices. No Member is responsible for another Member’s privacy practices. Also, ENTRANCE is not responsible for any Member’s privacy practices.
- Information that ENTRANCE collects from you (including Personal Information)
- Cookies and Tracking Technologies on the ENTRANCE Platform
- How your information is used
- How your information is shared
- How to manage your Personal Information
- Storage & Security
- Contact information
INFORMATION THAT ENTRANCE COLLECTS FROM YOU (INCLUDING PERSONAL INFORMATION)
ENTRANCE directly collects information when you:
- sign up for an ENTRANCE user account and create an ENTRANCE user profile;
- enroll and participate in online courses;
- purchase a product or service (for example, Verified Certificates);
- send email messages to ENTRANCE (including messages to learner support);
- participate in user surveys; and
- participate in public forums, webinars, and other interactive experiences on the ENTRANCE Platform.
ENTRANCE also indirectly collects usage information about your visit to the ENTRANCE Platform, as explained in the section below titled Cookies and Tracking Technologies.
ENTRANCE does not itself collect or store financial account numbers or identification issued by a governmental entity, employer, or other authority. Instead, if you choose to make a purchase on the ENTRANCE Platform, for example a Verified Certificate, you will be directed to ENTRANCE’s third-party payment processor and ENTRANCE’s third-party ID verification service provider. If you do not wish to submit the required authentication or payment information, then you will not be able to obtain a certificate via the ENTRANCE Platform.
ENTRANCE requires your Personal Information only in limited circumstances when you:
- sign up for an ENTRANCE user account (name, username, email address);
- purchase a Verified Certificate (so that ENTRANCE’s third-party vendor can authenticate your identity) or other product or service (so that ENTRANCE’s third-party vendor can process payment);
- participate in remote proctoring or other course facilitation processes (so that ENTRANCE’s third-party vendor can monitor and assess the integrity of your course activity); or
- earn a Verified Certificate (the certificate will have your name on it).
To the extent that ENTRANCE associates the information that ENTRANCE collects directly or indirectly with an individual (for example, you), the association is based on Personal Information in your account profile.
You may voluntarily choose to share additional Personal Information on the ENTRANCE Platform, for example:
- in your ENTRANCE account profile (and you may display a limited or full profile to other ENTRANCE Platform users);
- in applying for financial assistance; or
- when participating in a course, forum, webinar, or other interactive experience on the ENTRANCE Platform (noting that in some cases, this information is shared with a third party that provides tools or other assistance for the ENTRANCE Platform or a course).
ENTRANCE encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing additional Personal Information on the ENTRANCE Platform. (If you later choose to delete your ENTRANCE account, deletion of your Personal Information will be subject to the process and limits outlined below.)
Members do not receive your Personal Information unless and until you enroll in a course. If you enroll in a course, the Member that offers the course will receive Personal Information from your ENTRANCE account profile plus the information that ENTRANCE collects about your activity and performance in the course in which you enrolled.
COOKIES AND TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES ON THE ENTRANCE Platform
- based on your cookie settings, ENTRANCE tracks information indicating, among other things, which pages of the ENTRANCE Platform were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited, and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used;
- ENTRANCE may log the IP address, operating system, and browser software (including mobile use and device type when you use ENTRANCE native mobile apps) you used when accessing the ENTRANCE Platform, and ENTRANCE may be able to determine from an IP address your Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of your point of connectivity; and
- ENTRANCE may track and collect information from emails that ENTRANCE sends to you, for example whether you opened the email or clicked on any links from the email.
ENTRANCE also partners with third parties to help us track and understand your activity on the ENTRANCE Platform, how you interact with ENTRANCE’s social media, and how you find or may be referred to the ENTRANCE Platform. Individual Members may separately use Tracking Technologies within their courses and email communications to understand your activity within a course and how you find or may be referred to a course on the ENTRANCE Platform.
- when necessary for system administration, security, and integrity to ensure the ENTRANCE Platform works properly for you. Without these technologies, the ENTRANCE Platform may not function correctly;
- to enable analytics, performance and functionality, to help ENTRANCE and Members gather information about how visitors use the ENTRANCE Platform and monitor ENTRANCE Platform performance, and to enhance your experience by recognizing and remembering whether you have visited the ENTRANCE Platform before and may have any personal preferences; and
- to support marketing by enabling ENTRANCE and Members to deliver content relevant to your interests on the ENTRANCE Platform and third-party sites based on how you interact with ENTRANCE or Member advertisements or content. ENTRANCE and Members use “first-party” cookies, which means cookies served by ENTRANCE or an individual Member, and also “third-party” cookies, which means cookies served by third parties that help ENTRANCE and Members track this information.
You have some options for managing Cookies and other Tracking Technologies. These include:
- Modifying your browser settings: You should be able to control how and whether your web browser accepts Cookies by adjusting its privacy and security settings. The “help” feature of the menu bar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new Cookies, how to receive notification of new Cookies, and how to disable existing Cookies. If you reject ENTRANCE’s Cookies, many functions and conveniences of the ENTRANCE Site may not work properly.
- Opting-out of certain third-party tracking and advertising: Some of the third parties used by ENTRANCE or a Member for Cookies and Tracking Technologies offer the ability to opt-out from their tracking by following processes described on their websites. A list of some such third parties is maintained and available at the ENTRANCE learner Help Center and includes, for some, links to applicable opt-out processes. Neither ENTRANCE nor any Member is responsible for the effectiveness of any third-party opt-out options.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS USED
ENTRANCE and Members use information, including Personal Information, to carry out the following purposes:
- Operate and improve the ENTRANCE Platform – This includes creating and improving features that support the ENTRANCE community and enable ENTRANCE Platform usage at scale. This also includes personalizing the ENTRANCE Platform, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs.
- Create, administer, provide, and teach courses – This includes creating and improving the delivery of massive open online courses and programs on ENTRANCE. This also includes personalizing courses, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs, and assessing your performance and awarding certificates.
- Offer and improve products and services – This includes enabling you to navigate the ENTRANCE Platform, to enroll and participate in courses and programs on the ENTRANCE Platform, to learn effectively in such courses and programs, and to purchase or obtain products and services on the ENTRANCE Platform such as Verified Certificates.
- Develop and maintain the security and performance of the ENTRANCE Platform – This includes tracking ENTRANCE Platform outages and creating software solutions, detecting violations of the Honor Code and Terms of Service, and monitoring uses, misuses, and potential misuses of the ENTRANCE Platform.
- Communicate with you – This includes answering your course and platform questions, notifying you of course and ENTRANCE Platform maintenance and updates, marketing to you about course offerings, programs, news, and related products and services of ENTRANCE or ENTRANCE affiliates, and as permitted under applicable law, sending you communications about products or services of selected business partners that may be of interest to you.
- Support scientific research including, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education – This includes collaborating to enable and conduct research about how learners access and master course materials online, with the goal of improving course outcomes.
- Track ENTRANCE Platform usage against goals and mission – This includes performing analytics to evaluate access to and performance in courses and course-related products and services and to report aggregate usage information (not Personal Information) to business partners and external audiences.
- Exercise, enforce, and comply with legal rights and obligations – This includes responding to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; and investigating, preventing, or taking action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, security or technical issues, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of ENTRANCE, Members, or others, and as otherwise required by applicable law.
ENTRANCE or a Member may also seek your consent for additional uses of information, including Personal Information, and will use it only for the purpose described to you. All use of Personal Information is subject to applicable law.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS SHARED
ENTRANCE and Members share information, including Personal Information, with third parties for the following purposes:
- With other learners in courses that you take and with other visitors to the ENTRANCE Platform, to create an interactive learning environment, support class participation, and share course information – This includes sharing comments, coursework, or other information or content that you submit to a portion of the ENTRANCE Platform designed for viewing by other class members or for public communication. This also includes providing opportunities for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals, for instance, recommending specific study partners or connecting potential student mentees and mentors. In such cases, ENTRANCE and each Member that offers a course in which you enrolled may use all information collected about you to determine who might be interested in communicating with you, but will only provide others your username (for clarity, no disclosure of your real name or email address).
- With employers, government programs, institutions, or other enterprises that sponsor your enrollment in a course for training or other educational purposes – If an entity pays for or otherwise sponsors your Verified Certificate or course participation, ENTRANCE will share information with the entity as needed to confirm your enrollment, participation, progress, and completion status in that course.
ENTRANCE or a Member may also seek your consent for additional disclosures of information, including Personal Information, and will share it only as described to you. In addition, ENTRANCE or a Member may share with the public and with third parties, including but not limited to researchers and business partners, information and Personal Information that is de-identified or aggregated in a manner that does not personally identify you.
HOW TO MANAGE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can manage your Personal Information through learner features on the ENTRANCE Platform and requests to the ENTRANCE learner support team. If your request involves information controlled by a Member, ENTRANCE learner support will notify and coordinate with the appropriate Member to address your request. ENTRANCE will provide support to the extent required by applicable law (for example, learners in the European Union) and more broadly when possible, as a courtesy in our sole discretion. ENTRANCE will notify you in the event that ENTRANCE is unable to meet a request that is not legally required. Similarly, Members will only be obligated to comply with requests to the extent legally required, but may choose to comply with other requests in their sole discretion.
Access and correct your Personal Information
Much of your Personal Information is available in your ENTRANCE account. Your name, email address, and other identifiable profile information is editable through the profile settings in your ENTRANCE account except as noted below. Your account dashboard lists all current and archived courses in which you have enrolled and includes links to any Verified Certificates you may have earned. The dashboard also contains copies of your answers and other participation and performance in courses. Please contact ENTRANCE learner support to access and update this or other information. If your request involves information controlled by a Member, ENTRANCE learner support will notify the appropriate Member of your request.
- Usernames cannot ever be changed. This is an ENTRANCE system restriction. Because usernames identify you in courses and elsewhere on the ENTRANCE Platform, ENTRANCE encourages you to use discretion in choosing your username.
- ENTRANCE does not track or index every time or every place on the ENTRANCE Platform when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so neither ENTRANCE nor Members will be able to help you locate or manage all such instances. ENTRANCE encourages you to use discretion before volunteering Personal Information on the ENTRANCE Platform.
Restrict or object to the processing of Personal Information
If you want to manage emails and other communications to you, you may update your preferences in your ENTRANCE account dashboard, follow the steps described in links at the bottom of email messages, or contact ENTRANCE learner support. You may object to, or request that ENTRANCE or a Member stop, its use of your Personal Information for other purposes by contacting the ENTRANCE learner support team. If your request involves information controlled by a Member, ENTRANCE learner support will notify the appropriate Member of your request. Please note that if you choose to restrict ENTRANCE’s or a Member’s ability to process Personal Information, and the processing is otherwise required to provide you with various services and products offered on the ENTRANCE Platform, you may not be able to establish an ENTRANCE user account or enroll for a course, and ENTRANCE or a Member may not be able to provide you with those services or products.
Delete account and Personal Information
To request deletion of your ENTRANCE account and Personal Information, you should click the button labeled “Delete my account” in your ENTRANCE account settings. Because deletion on the ENTRANCE system is a permanent action and cannot be reversed, ENTRANCE may ask you to complete a process that aims to confirm your authority to manage the ENTRANCE account affected by your request.
With respect to your ENTRANCE account, ENTRANCE will permanently:
- deactivate your ENTRANCE account,
- remove the active profile,
- retire your username, and
- remove you from ENTRANCE email lists.
With respect to your Personal Information, ENTRANCE will permanently delete your ENTRANCE account profile Personal Information from the ENTRANCE Platform.
As noted above, to the extent that ENTRANCE associates the information that ENTRANCE collects directly or indirectly with an individual (for example, you), the association is based on Personal Information in your ENTRANCE account profile. By erasing the Personal Information in your ENTRANCE account profile, the remaining information about your activity on the ENTRANCE Platform will no longer be associated with you, except as noted below.
These changes will be applied to data stores that are used for operation of the ENTRANCE Platform including course administration by Members. If you enrolled in any courses on the ENTRANCE Platform, the ENTRANCE learner support team will share your request with the Members that offered those courses.
- Deletion will not apply to historical activity logs or archives unless and until these logs and data naturally “age-off” the ENTRANCE system.
- ENTRANCE does not track or index every time or every place on the ENTRANCE Platform when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so neither ENTRANCE nor Members will be able to help you locate or manage all such instances. ENTRANCE encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing your Personal Information on the ENTRANCE Platform.
- ENTRANCE will archive course data (in a manner and to the extent permitted under applicable law) to serve its mission to enable scientific research on cognitive science and education. These archives are used to produce encrypted research data packages for Members, and Personal Information may not be deleted from research data packages retained by Members.
- ENTRANCE and each applicable Member cannot always delete records of past interactions and transactions. For example, records relating to previous purchases on the ENTRANCE Platform must be retained for financial reporting, audit, and compliance reasons.
- ENTRANCE and each Member will retain and use Personal Information as necessary to comply with its legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
ENTRANCE will retain your Personal Information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with services; to maintain a record of your transactions for financial reporting, audit, and compliance purposes; and to comply with ENTRANCE’s legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law. If you enroll in a Member’s course, such Member will also retain your Personal Information for as long as needed to provide you with services; to maintain a record of your transactions for financial reporting, audit, and compliance purposes; and to comply with its legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law. Upon your request that ENTRANCE deactivate your account and delete your information, ENTRANCE will follow the process described above, including without limitation archiving your course data (in a manner and to the extent permitted under applicable law) to serve its mission to enable scientific research on cognitive science and education. These archives will be used to produce encrypted research data packages for Members, and each such Member may also keep and use course data for scientific research.
STORAGE & SECURITY
ENTRANCE stores information, including Personal Information, on its own servers and also on servers of companies that ENTRANCE hires to provide services. Each Member also stores information, including Personal Information, on its own servers and/or on servers of companies that the Member hires to provide services. In each case, information may be stored in Germany and in other countries where ENTRANCE or a Member operates, and in countries where ENTRANCE and each Member’s respective service providers operate. If you are in the European Union, Switzerland, or other regions with laws governing data collection and use, you acknowledge that ENTRANCE and each Member may transfer, process and store your personal information in Germany and other countries, the privacy laws of which may be considered less strict than those of your region.
ENTRANCE controls its own copy of information collected through the ENTRANCE Platform and has an information security program designed to protect information in its possession or control. This is done through a variety of privacy and security policies, processes, and procedures. ENTRANCE uses administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that reasonably and appropriately protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the information that it collects, receives, stores, or transmits. Nonetheless, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure; and therefore, ENTRANCE cannot guarantee its absolute security. While ENTRANCE works hard to ensure the integrity and security of its network and systems, ENTRANCE cannot guarantee that its security measures will prevent “hackers” or other unauthorized persons from illegally accessing or obtaining information.
If ENTRANCE learns of a security breach involving its copy of your Personal Information, ENTRANCE may attempt to notify you electronically so that you may take appropriate protective steps. By using the ENTRANCE Platform or providing Personal Information to ENTRANCE, you agree that ENTRANCE can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the ENTRANCE Platform. If a security systems breach occurs, ENTRANCE may post a notice on the ENTRANCE homepage (www.platform.entranceproject.eu) or elsewhere on the ENTRANCE Platform and may send an email to you at the email address associated with your ENTRANCE account. Depending on where you are located, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach, involving your Personal Information, in writing.
If a Member learns of a security breach involving that Member’s copy of your Personal Information, the Member may attempt to notify you electronically so that you may take appropriate protective steps. By enrolling in a Member’s course on the ENTRANCE Platform or providing Personal Information to the Member, you agree that the Member can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your course enrollment and participation. If a security systems breach occurs, the affected Member may post a notice on the ENTRANCE Platform and/or send an email to you at the email address associated with your enrollment in the Member’s course on the ENTRANCE Platform. Depending on where you are located, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach, involving your Personal Information, in writing.
If you have privacy concerns, have disclosed data you would prefer to keep private, or would like to access the Personal Information that ENTRANCE maintains about you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Data Protection Officer:
You may also write to us at: ATTN: PRIVACY, Institute of Entrepreneurship Development, Valtetsiou & Tripoleos, Larisa 41336, GREECE. If your request involves a Member, ENTRANCE will notify the appropriate Member of your request.
Cookies are unique identifiers usually in the form of small data files placed on your device that send certain information about your activity on the ENTRANCE Platform or in an email communication back to ENTRANCE or the authorized third party that served the cookie. ENTRANCE or third parties may also use Flash cookies.
ENTRANCE Platform consists of all content and pages located within the www.platform.entranceproject.eu web domain and all ENTRANCE mobile applications.
Member is each educational institution or other leading global institution or entity that provides courses through the ENTRANCE Platform.
Personal Information is information that specifically identifies you or that, when combined with other information, could be used to identify you.
Tracking Technologies are web beacons, clear gifs, pixels, and similar technologies that are also unique identifiers used to track your online activity but are not stored on your device.
Verified Certificate is a virtual certificate that shows that you have successfully completed your ENTRANCE course or program and verified your identity using your webcam and your acceptable form of photo ID.